The Truth About Wearing 925 Silver in the Shower: What You Need to Know

The Truth About Wearing 925 Silver in the Shower: What You Need to Know

We all have that one favourite piece of jewellery – the one that feels like a part of us. For many, it’s a beautiful 925 silver piece, known for its lustrous shine and classic beauty. But what happens when you wear it everywhere, even in the shower? Let's dive into the reasons why this is not a good idea.

The Science Behind the Shine

Silver, in its pure form, is relatively soft. To make it more durable for jewellery, it’s often alloyed with other metals, resulting in what we commonly call 925 silver or sterling silver. The '925' denotes that 92.5% of the alloy is pure silver. The remaining 7.5% usually consists of copper.

Water, Soap, and Silver Don’t Mix

Water can cause silver to oxidise, leading to tarnishing. While pure water won't cause immediate damage, the chemicals and chlorine found in tap water can erode the metal over time. Add in the various soaps, shampoos, and conditioners we use, and the risk multiplies.

Preserving the Beauty

To maintain the shine and longevity of your 925 silver jewellery, it’s best to remove it before showering. After wearing, gently wipe it with a soft cloth to remove oils and store it in a cool, dry place.

Mistakes Happen

If you happen to step into the shower and realize you're still wearing your jewellery, there's no need to panic. Give it a quick rinse with water to remove any soap residue, and then make sure to thoroughly dry it with a soft, clean cloth. Ensure all moisture is gone before putting it back on, even if it means allowing it to air-dry for a bit.

We also recommend using a silver polishing cloth or solution to remove any tarnishing that may occur.

Top Tip🧐: Before putting your jewellery back on, remember to wait for your lotions and creams to fully dry on your skin!

Older post Newer post

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published